Wow, 2020 was a very different year to usual. One thing I like to do when one year finishes and another starts is to reflect on the year that was and consider the year ahead. I’ve come across a number of different personal growth, journal prompt questions over the years and have compiled a list that works for me. Give it a go. You might surprise yourself in what your discover.
1. What was the most important goal I achieved in 2020?
2. What was an unexpected obstacle you came across in 2020?
3. What made me most proud?
4. What are 3 things I will stop doing in the next 12 months?
5. What are 3 things I will start doing in the next 12 months?
6. What are 3 things I will continue doing in the next 12 months?
7. What were my biggest wins / successes from the past year?
8. What was the best adventure I had in 2020?
9. What moments do you remember from 2020 that were really fun?
10. What was the nicest thing someone did for me this year?
11. What was the nicest thing I did for someone else this year?
12. Who is my biggest inspiration and why?
13. What 5 things do I love about my life?
14. What do I need more of in my life?
15. What are 5 things I am really good at?
16. List 3 of your strongest traits.
17. What 5 people did I enjoy spending time with?
18. Which new skills did I learn or develop?
19. What 5 things am I grateful for today?
20. What are some of my beliefs which may be holding me back?
21. What do I need to let go of? (fears, negative energy, negative relationships)
22. What is my dream? (where would I live, where would I work, what would my family look like)
23. What motivates me?
24. What are 3 of my passions?
25. Where did I make my biggest contribution in 2020?
26. What did 2020 teach me?
27. How did I surprise myself?
28. What 3 things can I do in 2021 to take me out of my comfort zone?
29. What do I need to change in my life (e.g. unhealthy habits, thoughts, relationships)?
30. What do I struggle with the most?
31. What is something I’d like to do but haven’t? What is stopping me?
32. What is my best memory of 2020?
33. What are 3 words I would use to describe 2020?
34. How would I describe myself to someone who doesn’t know me?
35. On a scale of 1 to 10, where would I rate 2020?
36. List 3 top goals for 2021. What are my plans to achieve them?
37. Where do I see myself in 5 years?
38. What does my perfect day look like?
39. Describe your ideal weekend.
40. Write out 5 positive affirmations (e.g. I can achieve anything I put my mind to).
I have laid out these prompts in an easier to use, printable template to help you get started.
Click to download the printable version.